Hopefully this will be the weekend that breaks winter’s back. Sorry for the violent imagery, but I cracked up my car on Tuesday after sliding on the ice on Yanceyville Street, and I have had just about enough of the cold. Details to follow.
But first… events!
UPDATE: The Unknown Hinson show has been postponed. New date TBA.
- It’s First Friday in downtown Winston-Salem and Greensboro. Action in the Camel City centers around the Arts District at the corner of Sixth and Trade streets. That’s where our pals Patrick Harris and friends hold down Delurk Gallery, home of the biggest and best damn newspaper box I’ve ever seen.
- In Greensboro, the action centers on Elm Street. This month, the Female Artist Takeover creates synergy(!) with a slew of events all over town: performances, discussions, installations and more.
- And the action of the ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament continues at the Greensboro Coliseum, regardless of the weather. The games started at noon today and will run all weekend.
- And if you’ve never seen the man before, I advise catching Unknown Hinson at the Blind Tiger.
- To start things off right, I’ll be at the Greensboro Farmers Curb Market for a bit in the early morning — unless the city still looks like the ice planet of Hoth, in which case I’ll either slice open my tauntaun and get inside or just roll over and go back to sleep.
- More Women’s ACC games at the coliseum in Greensboro, with the action starting at 5 p.m.
- Ziggy’s has the Helzapoppin Circus Sideshow Review, which I’d imagine has to be seen to be believed.
- And there’s a charity poker tournament for the 11 families displaced by the fire at Sherwood Creek Apartments. The event starts at 1 p.m. at Creekside Lanes in Winston-Salem.
Weather’s supposed to be nice. Don’t know about you, but I’m planning to get all up in it during the daytime. I’d advise you to do the same. All the action starts in the evening anyway.
- The finals of the women’s ACC tournament tips off at 7 p.m.
- And we’ve got a season finale for “True Detective” on HBO at 9 p.m.
And that should bring us squarely to spring’s doorstep. As promised, here’s a look at my car:
My car looks like somebody punched it in the face. pic.twitter.com/Mjj9JjGNGA
— Brian Clarey (@BrianClarey) March 4, 2014