• Guilford County Sheriff BJ Barnes speaks to the conservative lunch group at the Golden Corral at Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem at noon. For his courage and willingness to cross the Sandy Ridge Curtain, Sheriff Barnes wins this week’s Citizen of the Triad award!
• Members of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School Board will be briefed on options for Hanes and Lowrance middle schools at 4 p.m. The briefing will be held in the auditorium of Atkins High School, located at 3605 Old Greensboro Road.
• The finance committee of Winston-Salem City Council considers a request for financial assistance to the nascent Whitaker Park Development Authority and receives information about the Revitalizing Urban Commercial Areas and Transforming Urban Residential Neighborhoods programs when it meets in Room 239 at City Hall, located at 101 N. Main St., at 4:30 p.m.
• Mustafa Abdullah, a member of the Class of 2010 at Wake Forest University, speaks about his journey as an organizer, from his experience as a student activist to working for CHANGE in Winston-Salem and demonstrating and observing in Ferguson, Mo. Abdullah speaks at Farrell Hall on the campus of Wake Forest University at 5 p.m.
• The Greensboro Zoning Commission meets in council chamber of the Melvin Municipal Office Building, located at 300 W. Washington St., at 5:30 p.m. Agenda here.
• The High Point Parks and Recreation Commission meets in the Parks and Recreation Administrative Offices, located at 136 Northpoint Ave., at 5:30 p.m.
• The Forsyth County Commission meets on the fifth floor of the Government Center located at 201 N. Chestnut St. in Winston-Salem, at 6 p.m.
• The public safety committee of Winston-Salem City Council considers a resolution authorizing the purchase of property on North Point Boulevard for a new police district station when it meets in Room 239 at City Hall at 6 p.m.
• The Burns Hill Neighborhood Association meets at the Morehead Recreation Center, location at 101 Price St. in High Point, at 6 p.m.
• The Oakview Citizens Council meets in the Oakview Recreation Center, located at 503 James Road in High Point, at 7 p.m.