• The Rev. William Barber, the president of the NC NAACP, delivers Wake Forest University School of Divinity’s Fall Convocation address at Wait Chapel at 11 a.m.
• High Point and Winston-Salem normally hold their city council meetings on Mondays, but due to the Labor Day holiday their pushed back to today. The finance committee of the High Point City Council meets in the City Manager’s Conference Room in the Municipal Building, located at 211 S. Hamilton St, at 4:30 p.m. The finance committee is a “committee of the whole” (translation: the full council meets under less formal rules). It’s a public meeting, and it’s usually where most substantial discussion takes place. The official city council meeting begins at 5:30. Read on for more information on that.
• Greensboro City Council meets in Council Chamber at Melvin Municipal Office Building, located at 300 W. Washington St., at 5:30 p.m. Among other items on the agenda, the council will vote on a resolution to close a portion of Lindsay Street to accommodate developer Roy Carroll’s plans for a mixed-use project.
• High Point City Council meets in Council Chamber at the Municipal Building, located at 211 S. Hamilton St., at 5:30 p.m. The public comment period is scheduled for 6 p.m.
• Winston-Salem City Council meets in the Council Chamber of City Hall, located at 101 N. Main St., at 7 p.m. Here’s the agenda.
• Matty Sheets hosts open mic at New York Pizza, located at 337 Tate St. in Greensboro, beginning at 9:30 p.m.