This week marks the point where you probably should know what type of Halloween costume you’re gonna wear, because the good stuff is flying off the shelves at your local costume and thrift shops, and you know these guys aren’t gonna do that much re-stocking.
The Weekender follows.
- Fall Festival @ Center City Park (GSO), 6 p.m.
Center City Park is the setting for this autumnal celebration with food trucks, live music and family-friendly games. Find the page on Facebook for more information.
- Art & Soul: The Eclectic Works of Phil Young @ Earshot Records (W-S), 7 p.m.
Phil Young‘s eclectic array of music-inspired artwork has taken up residence at Earshot. His work channels urban energy with a lot of color and spunk.
- Furniture Market @ downtown (HP), 8 a.m.
The annual High Point International Home Furnishing Market is here. If you have never seen the Third City in all its biannual glory, consider applying for a day pass. Drink lots of water, put on a comfortable pair of shoes and spend the day reveling in the largest furnishings industry trade show in the world. It’s like Midtown Manhattan for a week.
- Organic Gardening, the Permacultural Way @ Deep Roots Market (GSO), 10 a.m.
A Green Living Workshop at Deep Roots demonstrate how to prepare soil using permaculture methods. Later, the workshop will move to Tiny House Village to prepare a village garden.
- Start Your Engines! @ New Winston Museum (W-S), 10 a.m.
As a part of the Family Saturday series, New Winston Museum offers an intimate look at how cars shaped local history. Antique automobiles and racecars will be on display.
- Pumpkin Palooza @ Greensboro Science Center (GSO), 10 a.m.
Costumes are encouraged at this Halloween-themed pumpkin festival. The Fresh Market provides tasty pumpkin treats for people and animals.
- Piedmont Chamber Sings @ Home Moravian Church (W-S), 7:30 p.m.
To open their 38th season, Piedmont Chamber Singers perform Life, a concert exploring the living journey from the womb to the tomb. The concert features the work of Dan Forrest’s Requiem for the Living.
- Gibb’s Hundred first anniversary@ Gibb’s Hundred Brewing (GSO), 1 p.m.
The new(ish) brewery has a lot to celebrate: a full year in business, a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival and this street party, which will bring in a slew of food trucks and a new barleywine from the brewery.
- Extravaganza: Sports of All Sorts @ Elsewhere Art Museum (GSO), 8 p.m.
It’s like the Art-o-lympics, with new and classic sports, games of skill and derring-do, a tailgate party with Table 16.
- Sunset Flicks featuring Ghostbusters @ Winston Square Park (W-S), 5:30 p.m.
Bring a blanket for this autumn installment of Sunset Flicks, both to protect you from the cold and from Gozar the Gozarian, with music from Tyler nail before the screening. Seriously, though, supposed to be like 30 degrees.