It’s over, people. Summer’s gone to New Zealand and it isn’t coming back until well after football season ends. You should be used to it by now.
Meanwhile, the season’s last gasp falls this weekend, where we honor those whose struggles gave us the three-day weekend, among other benefits.
So go get one last swim in, then pack up the bathing suits and flip-flops. It’s time to engage.
- Artist talk: Beverly Semmes @ Weatherspoon Art Museum (GSO)
Beverly Semmes’ work, Feminist Responsibility Project, features “totemic and abstract works” that look at the female form through media images and sculpture and is on display at the ’Spoon through the weekend. She’ll be talking about her work at 6 p.m.
- I’ve Done Bad Things reading @ Revolution Cycles (GSO)
I’ve Done Bad Things is a small ’zine that features anonymous writings from people who don’t always stick to the straight and narrow. Celebrity readers at the bike shop include Molly McGinn, Pete Schroth and others who feel the need to confess. Showtime is 7 p.m.
- G. Love & Special Sauce @ the Blind Tiger (GSO)
The Sauce hits the Tiger tonight, kicking off a huge month of shows. Tickets still available.
- First Friday @ downtown streets (GSO/W-S)
- Greensboro: The Gate City’s First Friday offerings include a Zac Trainor show at Urban Grinders and a Housing Hangout at UNCG’s Center for Housing and Community Studies centered on communities and affordable housing.
- Winston-Salem: The Camel City scores a First Friday win with Collective Impressions wending through Delurk and Ember Gallery, featuring works from member artists; IIIan Art Show at Reanimator, featuring images of robots, monsters and rock form three guys named Ian; and a rock/art show at the Garage with Tyler Nail.
- Rushmore @ Reynolda House (W-S)
Bill Murray + Wes Anderson = an eternal classic. Check it for free at Reynolda House’s Cinema Under the Stars series. Screening begins at dusk.
- 9/11 stair climb @ Bellemeade Parking Deck (GSO)
The fifth annual 9/11 memorial stair climb begins at 9 a.m. Entrants will climb 73 flights of stairs, the rough equivalent of New York firefighters on that fateful day. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m., and Leslie Lippa has more at 336.574.4088.
- Gate City Get Down @ Kohinoor Hookah Palace (GSO)
This “multi-turntable format” promises “nothing but grooves & rhythms” beginning at 9 p.m. with DJ J-Lone, Sönder, Darklove, Prez, FiftyFoot Shadows and DJ Bonzani.
As for Sunday and Monday, get out and enjoy Labor Day Weekend, folks. Summer’s over. Follow the Weekender throughout the winter by clicking here.