The days when a media outlet could conceivably list every single weekend event in the Triad are long gone, and only a few of us old-timers can remember what it was like back then. Today there are at least a hundred events every week, of varying degrees of quality. We sort through them all so you don’t have to.
- The Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance and the stage musical Grease go together like rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong. Check out the short summer run this weekend on the alliance stage. Gonna be systematic, hydromatic, ultramatic… an awful lot like greased lightning. One more: With a four-speed on the floor, it’s likely they’ll be waiting at the door.
- Triad Stage‘s Greensboro run of All’s Well that Ends Well makes its final stand this weekend.
- And upstairs at the Upstage Cabaret, Theatre 232, a collaboration between Triad Stage and the UNCG Theatre Department, Jack & the Jellbeanstalk runs on Friday and Saturday.
- Free jazz that don’t cost nothin’ is part of Winston-Salem’s Summer Music Series. Saundra Crenshaw and Cindy Bradley kick off at 6 p.m. at Corpening Plaza.
- Tonight Ben Singer, Sam Frazier and Matty Sheets play a three-part guitar score against Charlie Chaplin’s 1925 silent masterpiece The Gold Rush. It’s the newest and baddest Modern Robot show tonight at the Green Bean, with early sets by Molly Miller and Emily Stewart & Baby Teeth. Get there around 8.
- Or hit CFBG for Hope for Agoldensumer and Ameriglow sets at 9 p.m.
- They’re screening Starship Troopers at A/perture at 9: 30 p.m.
- And the Twilight Saga gets the RiffTrax treatment at Geeksboro at midnight.
- The Fun Fourth Freedom Walk-Run starts early — some would say a week early — and honors our military veterans.
- Greensboro’s National Night Out Kickoff Block Party begins at 9 a.m. in front of police headquarters. Find out more about reclaiming our neighborhoods.
- An early screening at Hanesbrands Theatre features a live-streamed performance from the National Theatre of London. A Small Family Business, a story about a man who find increasingly disturbing things about his in-laws and their company, starts at 2 p.m.
- Greensboro Roller Derby gives a Star Wars theme to its championship bout, beginning at the Greensboro Coliseum at 6 p.m.
- Downtown Winston-Salem gets the bo-stevens at 6 p.m. for a free show as part of Summer on Trade. Showtime is 7 p.m.
- And the People’s Transit Bar Crawl is a reality, thanks to Ryan Saunders and Create Your City. $20 gets you rides to just about every bar in the city. The shuttle leaves the Pig Pounder brewery at 9 p.m. for this inaugural event
- Kind of quiet today. Maybe you should cut your lawn.