The path of least resistance leads straight to the backyard this time of year. But with just a little bit of effort, you can make it off your street and out to one of these fine events, curated lovingly by the Weekender staff.
Get it delivered via email by clicking here. And don’t forget to tell all your friends.
- Salute! The North Carolina Wine Celebration has had events running all week in downtown Winston-Salem, culminating with the big event on Saturday and a wonderful denouement on Sunday. Keep reading for the specifics
- If you’re not planning on drinking wine all day on Saturday, consider a visit to On Pop of the World Studios in Greensboro, where the fabulous Crystal Bright & the Silverhands conspire with old runnin’ partners Matty Sheets & the Blockheads on a bill with Stephen Murray & Backlot Collective and Atlanta chantreuse Adron.
- Or you could gear up for Saturday by hitting an Evening of Southern Food with Chef Nathalie Dupree. Dupree will prepare classic Southern dishes, while also dishing about her career and life on the South. Think of it as performance art you get to eat. This one is part of the Salute! deal.
- And where, you ask, is the love for the Triad’s third city? Can we get a little love for High Point? Yes, friends, we can. Because tonight, at the After Hours Tavern, the David Reavis Band will be cranking original music until the rafters shake. I never saw them before, and I haven’t been in that club, but I saw it on Facebook and I’m buying in. Knock ’em dead, guys.
- There’s a reason soccer is played everywhere in the world. This is a good time to figure out why that is, because in the next few weeks you will get sensory overload from games of the World Cup from Brazil. Greensboro, the Triad’s most international city, brings the spirit of the games to Bryan Park on Saturday at 11 a.m. for FutbolFest, a daylong celebration of both the international community in the city and the game we all love. Games, music, culture… all of that. There will also be the best international food court in the state going on out there.
- At City Beverage in Winston-Salem, the last Saturday of the month is reason to celebrate. They’ll do a full-on parking-lot party, with food trucks, beer tastings, a farmers market and more for the first Last Saturday party, which will run all summer long. Be there at noon.
- The guys over at Greensboro’s Pipe & Pint are launching a new cigar, Trill, at their Spring Garden Street cottage. Their site is dark, but they’re tweeting at @thepipeandpint. This one also starts at noon.
- And also at noon, the big daddy, Salute!, which will take over a portion of downtown Winston-Salem and spill out into just about every district as the day goes on. Learn by doing with vintners on hand to answer and pour, and walk the streets in the Carolina sunshine.
- Salute! has got a really sweet brunch crawl, if you’re up for it. It doesn’t start until 1:30 p.m., so….