Senior Editor Jordan Green follows up on his friend, Jen McCormack’s death, following a heart attack in the Forsyth County jail, in an effort to determine what went wrong in this week’s Triad City Beat cover story. The medical answers remain elusive, but Jen’s death highlights what one physician calls “one of the major crises of our time” — the incarceration of pregnant and addicted women.
• Editorial: Southern hostility
• It Just Might Work: A restaurant workers emergency fund
• Fresh Eyes: Why we welcome refugees to the Triad
• Editor’s Notebook: One for Jill
• Citizen Green: No safe spaces for trans folk, even at LGBT night
• Good Sport: Let’s talk about the frikkin’ Panthers
• All She Wrote: Forever in blue jeans
• Barstool: World of Beer
Triad City Beat This Week comes out every Wednesday with links to stories in that week’s paper. Get it in your inbox by clicking here.
Join the First Amendment Society, a membership that goes directly to funding TCB‘s newsroom.
We believe that reporting can save the world.
The TCB First Amendment Society recognizes the vital role of a free, unfettered press with a bundling of local experiences designed to build community, and unique engagements with our newsroom that will help you understand, and shape, local journalism’s critical role in uplifting the people in our cities.
All revenue goes directly into the newsroom as reporters’ salaries and freelance commissions.