Earning my dinner
Once upon a time I was a simple freelance writer, juggling pitches and stories from a table at the Green Bean and, later, an actual home office with a window and a door and everything. I worked a good four or five hours a day back then, just enough, I used to say, to earn my dinner.
Now my dinner is warming on the stove while I knock out this last task of the day. Sorry, I’ve got no news; I’ve been at it for about 11 hours today and I am fucking starving.
- 1,988 new cases in North Carolina. Outstanding!
- 120 new cases in Guilford. Not bad!
- 78 new cases in Forsyth!
- Hospitalizations down below 2000! Positive test rate 7.4 percent!
- 61 new deaths (10,562).
How about some Tina Turner? Here’s a vintage 1992 live performance, The Girl from Nutbush. Did you know Tina Turner became a Swedish citizen in 2013? Neither did I!
- “Portrait of a Venetian Senator,” by Catena, around 1525. Thanks to the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s public-domain collection.
- If you’d like to help Triad City Beat, please consider becoming a supporter. You could also give us a like on Facebook and share our stories on Twitter.
Join the First Amendment Society, a membership that goes directly to funding TCB‘s newsroom.
We believe that reporting can save the world.
The TCB First Amendment Society recognizes the vital role of a free, unfettered press with a bundling of local experiences designed to build community, and unique engagements with our newsroom that will help you understand, and shape, local journalism’s critical role in uplifting the people in our cities.
All revenue goes directly into the newsroom as reporters’ salaries and freelance commissions.
Leave a Reply