What we learned
• 80 percent of rental properties in the High Point ghetto are owned by people who live within a 25-mile radius of the properties — a span that encompasses Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Lexington, Thomasville, Trinity and Asheboro.
• Almost half of rental properties are owned by people who live in High Point.
• Landlords who live in the 27262 ZIP code, which includes the affluent neighborhood of Emerywood, own the largest share of rental properties (130). The second largest share of landlords (116) live in 27260, the ZIP code that includes the ghetto itself. The third largest share live in 27265, which covers the prosperous north end of High Point.
• 81 percent of the residents of the ghetto are African American, but African Americans own only 35 percent of the housing stock in the ghetto.
• Rental housing in the High Point ghetto is distributed across a relatively large number of owners: The Hughes family of Jamestown, which owns the largest number of properties (29), controls only 3.6 percent of the single-family homes and duplexes in the ghetto. Thirty-five families control almost a third of the rental properties. The remainder is controlled by individuals and companies that own one to three properties.