Perhaps actor, producer, playwright and director Levy Lee Simon sums up the National Black Theatre Festival the best: “Any time you have thousands of black people coming together, feeling good, looking good… the energy level of it is unmatched anywhere.” The Triad City Beat editorial team spotlights the classic, the popular, the avant-garde and the local in this multifaceted biennial festival for this week’s cover story.
• Editorial: Open the floodgates
• It Just Might Work: Local beer, local arena
• Fresh Eyes: The range of permissible lies
• Editor’s Notebook: Dancing in the moonlight
• Citizen Green: Disharmony among the party faithful on the hustings
• Good Sport: Greensboro MMA and the boxing gym
• All She Wrote: A Summer’s Eve guide to douchebags and other seasonal creatures
• Food: Harlem Express opens, impresses
• Barstool: Big brewer in little High Point
Triad City Beat This Week comes out every Wednesday with links to that week’s stories. Get it in your inbox by clicking here.