Gov. Pat McCrory picked up a theme established by Donald Trump when he railed against so-called “sanctuary cities” harboring dangerous criminal who are undocumented immigrants upon signing HB 318 in Greensboro in October. The bill also took aim at IDs used by undocumented immigrants, although a critical amendment effectively neutralized the provision. Ultimately, as Senior Editor Jordan Green writes in this week’s Triad City Beat cover story, the new law turns out to be largely symbolic, functioning as a hostile broadside against undocumented immigrants while revving up the passions of conservative voters.
• Editorial: Spellings’ test
• It Just Might Work: Right-sizing the weather
• Fresh Eyes: When creativity became ‘so Winston‘
• Editor’s Notebook: A winter’s tale
• Citizen Green: The precarity of our winter wonderland
• Fun & Games: The gentle giant of Greensboro College
• All She Wrote: Game changers
• Barstool: Making gin at home
Triad City Beat This Week comes out every Wednesday with links to stories in that week’s issue. Get it in your inbox by clicking here.