We got some bad news on the homefront today and it’s sort of taken over everything at the house tonight, so I’ll be keeping this update as brief as possible so I can be of use around here.
Spent the rest of the day putting together a paper, which has some good stories that have already dropped:
- Jordan Green’s postmortem of the 2020 Election in NC.
- We don’t have to play along with Donald Trump.
- A gutting at Guilford College.
- Meanwhile, we’re seeing terrible coronavirus numbers across the country. North Carolina owns its part.
- 139,885 new cases in the US today, 1,448 new deaths. 10.4 million have been diagnosed; 241,070 have died.
- A new record for new cases in NC: 3,119. 286,524 total. 38 new deaths (4,698)
- 1,246 hospitalized.
- 7.9 percent positive test rate. It has been as high as 13, I think, but not in months.
- Guilford County has 102 new, for 12,718, along with 208 deaths (+1). 1,556 active cases.
- Forsyth County has 140 new cases, 10,296 total. 137 dead (+0), 1,332 in the last two weeks.
I watched a freaky movie called The Clonus Horror when I was a kid and it stuck with me: an island of clones used for spare body parts for rich people. Allegories abound. But it turns out the film is kind of stupid — it was 1979, so I was just 9 years old. So I’m dropping the MST3K take on this classic, which kind of takes all of the teeth out of it.
- For tonight’s featured image, we’ve got “The Bankers Table” by William Michael Harnett, 1877. Taken from the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s public-domain collection.
- If you’d like to help Triad City Beat, please consider becoming a supporter. You could also give us a like on Facebook and share our stories on Twitter.